If you take pride in your commitment to helping the environment by recycling and "going green," moving can be a stressful time. When you choose the New York long-distance movers at Arnoff Moving & Storage, you don't have to choose between making environmentally-friendly decisions and protecting your belongings. Our residential movers have almost 100 years of experience providing high-quality moving services. We have also become focused on reducing our carbon footprint and helping the environment. Here are some of the top tips for protecting the environment when planning your next move.
Hire a Moving Company That Focuses on Reducing Their Environmental Impact
While it may be difficult for moving companies to reduce their environmental impact due to their use of large trucks powered by gasoline and moving boxes that are only used once, we can take some small steps to make a difference. These steps may not seem like much, but they can make a huge difference for the environment over time.
Hire a company who:
- Reduces Fuel Usage: This can be as easy as combining smaller moves on the same truck if both move cross-country.
- Reuses Packing Boxes: Reusable wardrobe boxes are great for transporting hanging clothes and can be returned after each move.
- Reduces Plastic Usage: Moving blankets and rubber bands can be used in place of plastic wrap and tape to wrap and protect large items during relocations.
- Uses Environmentally-Friendly Practices: Using solar power, recycled office products, practicing recycling, using green cleaning supplies, and responsibly servicing trucks are easy ways moving companies can help protect the environment.
Arnoff's Millerton, NY, facility is the site of the largest solar farm in the region. Arnoff's dedication to reducing its carbon footprint is an ongoing priority, and hopes to lead by example in an effort to inspire others to follow with their own green initiatives.
Make Environmentally-Friendly Choices When You Plan Your Move
Hiring an environmentally-conscious moving company is essential. However, there are also choices you can make to minimize your harm to the environment when planning a move.
- Dispose of Chemicals Properly: Improper disposal of paint, gas, oil, or other household and cleaning chemicals can harm the environment. Check your local community guidelines to learn more about how to dispose of these items properly.
- Recycle Electronics and Appliances: Your community should also have guidelines and resources to help you recycle your unwanted electronics and old appliances.
- Donate Unwanted Food and Clothing: Non-perishable food can be donated to a local food pantry, while unwanted clothing and other household items, such as furniture, can be donated to a local charity or thrift store.
- Reuse Old Boxes: If you know someone who has recently moved or has cardboard boxes lying around, you can use these recycled boxes instead of purchasing new ones.
- Pad Fragile Items with Blankets: Instead of buying plastic packing materials or non-biodegradable packing materials, you can use clothing, towels, blankets, or other soft items as padding when packing your fragile items.
Choose the Trusted Movers at Arnoff Moving & Storage
At Arnoff Moving & Storage, we have provided professional moving services to New York residents since 1924. Our residential movers in New York are committed to protecting the environment by adopting environmentally-friendly practices with each of our moving projects.
As an agent of northAmerican Moving Services, our New York long-distance movers have access to a nationwide network of professionals who offer the following customizable moving services:
- High-Quality Packing Supplies
- Customizable Packing Services
- Professional Padding/Wrapping of Furniture
- Custom Crating for Fragile Items
- Short-Term Storage Solutions
Call us today to learn more about how we can help you plan your upcoming move and reduce the environmental impact in the process.
Subscribe to Arnoff Moving & Storage's Blogs